Sunday, September 21, 2008

Are you my friend?

This Friday night excursion into Atlanta was different. I'm quickly learning that every week will bring new encounters and different experiences.

We started at the Underground as usual. Selah was sick so Amy came with David and me. We met with Sarah (the watch/bling/grill-selling Muslim turned Christian lady who happens to be awesome) for the first 20 minutes or so. Amy is considering starting a disciple-type relationship with her. It's pretty exciting.

David and I then went and scouted out the area for potential new relationships....we shall see.

Around 8 we went to go meet Ronald (see 2nd post). Though we didn't actually catch up with him till around nine, we did get to meet George. He's the guy that brings the u-haul type truck to the parking lot every week. He's a large Hispanic man with a thick accent and a compassionate heart. This particular night we stuck around for the whole process.

Lines begin to form around 830ish. George speaks to the crowd and then a pastor gives a short sermon and a time of prayer. This night George spoke about how there has been a short supply of food for the past two weeks and he would like prayer for that. The pastor spoke about the power of restoration through Christ and urged the people present to allow themselves to be restored. It was pretty powerful.

It was also pretty awkward. Amy, David and I just stood around for awhile not wanting to be rude...but we also wanted to meet the people. We ended up getting to meet quite a few. I met Jerry and Gloria. Jerry helps out with the set up and tear down every week. He's homeless. Gloria is a mother of 6 and this particular day she did all of her family's laundry because her daughter is expecting and due any day. Gloria was pretty cool...she also towered over me by more than a foot. I felt reasonable safe just because Gloria was standing next to me.

Once the 200 meals of chicken, bread, and cookies were passed out...my eye caught something I did not want to see.

it was in the form of a 4 year old little boy wearing an ATL braves hat, spiderman shirt, and bob the builder back pack...

I know the face of homelessness has changed from primarily single men to families. But knowing it doesn't make it sting any less.

We approached the area where he was standing with his mom when he turns around and looks at us and says "Hey!" Around a mouthful of chicken he begged us to play with him. He didn't even have to beg. David and I sat with him on the ground as he rummaged through his back pack and pulled out a plastic box containing 6 matchbox cars. He then plopped down in my lap. Turning around, he looked up at me and asked "Are you my friend?" Yes, yes Christian I'm you're friend. He asked David too...and of course David replied in the affirmative.

We played cars amid the broken glass, trash, and needles. My heart broke.

We played with Christian and spoke with his somewhat out of it mom of 22 for the next 45 minutes until it was time to go...he didn't want us to go. I didn't want to go either.

Walking back to the van, Amy, David, and I debriefed the time with Christian. It was interesting to me how deeply it affected all three of us. I can only imagine how much more it breaks the Father's heart.

Part of me hopes Christian is there next week. But a bigger part of me hopes that he and his mom have found a safe haven of rest and no longer need the identity provided in the streets.

1 comment:

Momma said...

Daughter, my daughter...wow! I humbled by your actions, and by your heart. I want you to know that what you are typing on these pages is powerful and so insightful. I will be praying for you and for "the people!" Christian is going to be on my mind and in my heart forever! Keep up the good and faithful work! I love you...momma